Falkirk Herald October 16, 1886
The first of a series of fortnightly music and literary entertainments was given on Saturday evening last, in the Southern District School (kindly granted for the purpose by the school board.) The school was crowded to its utmost capacity, many being unable to gain admittance. Mr W.D. Murray, occupied the chair, and in a neat opening address, explained the reason for holding, and the nature of the meeting. The programme was a lengthy one, and occupied two hours, embracing solos, duets quartettes, and readings; also sections on pianoforte and violin. It is gratifying to note that the talent was drawn entirely from the immediate neighbourhood of Cumbernauld Station, and we understand the committee in charge of the meetings, have pleasure in stating that the whole of the winter programme will be completed without going far afield for aid. The district is nearly two miles form Cumbernauld village, with a considerable working class population, for whose benefit and amusement the meetings are chiefly got up. The committee deserve every encouragement in their laudable effort to wile away pleasantly and profitably the long winter evenings. A hearty vote of thanks, on the motion of Mr N. Smith, to the chairman terminated the proceedings.
Of course, the goodwill of the local gentry was soon thwarted by the School Board who objected to the damage caused to the floor by the tackety boots of the working class population. Concerts were suspended until a new Southern District Hall could be built three years later. Full story here.